Saturday, June 24, 2006

YQB Jour 7 - An Introduction to Québec

When I got off the train at YQB, I've been on the road for six days, getting only five hours of fitful sleep each night. I was tired and getting agitated. I didn't care to admire the stained-glass ceiling of the historical train station, nor was I interested in the sculpture and fountain outside. I just wanted to get to my home for the next four weeks, shower, and get a good night's sleep. I strapped on my backpack, readied my map, and started the last three kilometres to a real bed. As soon as I pushed open the doors, the first thing that greeted me was not the fragrance of flowers in bloom, nor was it the romantic sound of the French language. It was the heat. The unexpected, sweltering, humid heat. I tried to cheer myself up by telling myself that I get to spend four weeks in the most European city in North America, and I ought to enjoy every aspect of it.

The first aspect of Europeaness I experienced was getting lost in the hopelessly confusing and winding streets. After I finally found my bearings, I had to deal with the terrain. Part of YQB, including where I'll be staying, is on top of a cliff. The train station is not. There are numerous steep roads and staircases that connect the upper and lower parts of the city. By the time I climbed the equivalent of a five stories building with my heavy backpack, I was ready to aggressively vocalize my feelings. However, I promised myself I will speak French at all time while in YQB. Since I don't know the French words for 'cliff' or 'stairs', nor do I know how to swear in French, I kept my mouth shut and kept walking. I would later find out it was 36°C including humidity that afternoon.



45 minutes later, I arrived at the neighbourhood I'll be staying at. It's a very quiet residential area, with lots of trees and beautiful old townhouses. I found the house, rang the bell, and a cheerful Québécoise greeted me. Before I could take off my backpack and rest my weary legs, I realized, to my dismay, her apartment is up a flight of steep narrow stairs, on the second floor.



En fin, je suis arrivé!

No comments: