Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tales from the Lone Star State - in class

I just completed my extremely intensive 5 weeks classroom training at the Mercy Ships HQ in Texas.

We covered a great variety of topics that are relevant to ship life, missionary work, and life in general.

Some of the topics covered include:

  • Mercy Ships – its history, mission, values, approaches
  • Personal and interpersonal development
  • Conflict resolution
  • Prayer life and the nature of God
  • Spiritual warfare
  • World view and the root of poverty
  • Relief vs development
  • First aid and CPR
  • Fire fighting (that's me in the fire suit!)
  • Survival at sea

I'll be off to the Dominican Republic in a few hours (early Sunday morning), where we'll have the opportunity to put what we’ve learnt into practice. I'll return to Texas on Feb 28, and fly out to Liberia to (finally) join the ship on March 1st.

No comments: