Saturday, January 26, 2008

Perfect Strangers, New Best Friends

It’s hard to believe I’ve been in Texas for 3 weeks already. Sometimes, when I recall the terror of that Greyhound bus ride, I feel like I have just arrived. However, when I look around at all the friends I’ve made and how comfortable I am in my new surroundings, I feel like I’ve been here for months.

I’m having a great time at training. I learnt a lot about Mercy Ships as an organization, the God we serve, various aspects of missions, life skills, conflict resolution, cross-cultural communications, etc. We had a silent retreat last weekend. It was very refreshing just spending a day with God in silence. I will definitely do that again.

Even though our class of 32 started as strangers, due to the open and safe environment fostered by the instructors, there has been a lot of deep and meaningful sharing of personal experiences, and a lot of tears have been shed. It is very inspiring and encouraging to hear others’ stories. I learnt that many people are facing the same kind of challenges I am. Together we can encourage each other, and grow to be the kind of person God intends us to be. I think by the end of February, we will become a very tightly bonded group.

A few notes about living in East Texas:

  • It can get cold! 2 days ago, the temperature was around -10C with windchill! I am totally not prepared for this kind of weather.
  • Unlike the weather, the people are very warm and hospitable. They ask how your day has been, and they actually care about your response.
  • My stomach is adjusting to a new schedule. Dinner is served from 5 - 5:45pm. I can't even remember the last time I finished dinner before 6pm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eddie, We really appreciate your testimony you shared with our Sunday School Class on Sunday. (Cornerstone Class @ FBC Garland) Thanks for the awesome inspiration. I really enjoyed seeing some sites in Dallas with you and getting re acquainted. We will be in Prayer for you.
Tony Lee