Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Riding on a Greyhound, praying all the way

After a very eventful bus ride, I finally made it to the Lone Star state!

In an attempt to save $150, I decided to take a 16 hours Greyhound bus from Atlanta to Tyler, Texas. Since I have taken many long bus rides in Africa, I figured this wouldn't be too bad. Afterall, the Greyhound bus seats are big and comfy. It would be like flying longhaul in business class, right?

Some lowlights of my trip:

  • The bus terminal was in a shady part of town, with lots of people loitering around outside, reminded me of East Hastings in Vancouver. It was around 11pm.
  • At soon as I saw the inside of the bus station, my heart sank and wished I had flown instead. The place was totally packed, lineups everywhere. Total mayhem.
  • I stood in one line to check my first bag, and was told I need to be in another line to check my second bag. That line wasn't moving, and they were already calling for my bus number to prepare for boarding. Yikes!
  • 2 hours later, I finally got on the bus. It was a full bus, and my seat wouldn't recline.
  • I was trying to get some sleep, but was wakened up at about 3am by some noise and a sudden jerk of the bus. The bus has drifted over the right lane onto the grooves on the side of the road, driver woke up, and jerked the bus back into the lane. That was scary. However, whoever came up with the idea of cutting grooves into the side of roads was a genius.
  • I was really tired, so was trying to put that incident behind me, and get back to sleep.
  • 5 minutes later, it happened again. Sound of tires on grooves, and a sharp jerk to the left.
  • I was wide awake for the rest of the trip, praying all the way.
  • On the way into Jackson Mississippi, an ambulance with sirens on was behind us. Bus driver moved over to right lane, let ambulance pass, and immediately moved right back over to suck the wheels of the ambulance. Cyclists would appreciate how smooth that pacelining maneuver was. We were passing EVERYONE on the interstate. A Greyhound bus tailgating an ambulance, can you picture that in your mind? I prayed even harder.
  • Fortunately, the bus just couldn't keep up and the ambulance finally dropped us. Whew!
  • They changed drivers at Jackson. I was happy to be rid of the sleepy crazy speeding driver. Unfortunately the second driver didn't show up for 2 hours! At least I hope he had plenty of sleep.
The rest of the trip was fairly uneventful. I arrived 2 hours behind schedule, safe and sound, with all my luggage. What a crazy beginning to my trip!

I want to thank my adopted family in Atlanta for staying with me at the bus station, helping me navigate through all the madness. If I were there by myself, I would have freaked out for sure.

I'm now comfortably settled in the Mercy Ships campus, meeting a lot of interesting people, and enjoying my training.

4 comments:

Jonathan & Karen Ng said...

Yikes! That is pretty scary! Know that we are praying for you. BTW - wrote up something about your trip on our blog... finally got around to it. Also wrote something on that cake you made Erich...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun trip. Hope it was worth the money you saved.

Found your blog when it linked to mine. Say hi to Cathy, Drew, Artemio, Amy and all my other friends there at the IOC, and enjoy yourself.

Eric Thibodeau

Anonymous said...

eddie! good to hear you made it to texas...what an experience that bus ride sounds like!

be glad you aren't here any more...it's dine out time! we're looking at close to 600 reservations for the first weekend (friday, saturday, sunday). it's hectic keeping up with all the prep. apple crumble and the milk chocolate and jasmine mousse. i process 1 20lb case of apples, and all i get is 90 portions! so, it's pretty much a case of apples a day, peeling, coring and dicing. i'm getting pretty quick though, and can now do it in just over an hour.
i have less than a month to go now before i leave, and that's all that's keeping me positive.

good luck with the training and i'll be following your journey...

Eddie Wong said...

Thanks for your comments everyone. I'll respond to each of you by email.