Sunday, March 23, 2008

Accounts of Dominican Republic by a missionary newbie - Part 3 of 3

In short, this trip exceeded my expectations.

During the first few days, after witnessing the poverty and the disheartening living conditions, I became very negative and skeptical about our efforts. What can we possibly do in 2.5 weeks to have any long term impacts in these people's lives? We may be able to provide short term fixes, but they will not be sustainable after we leave. So why are we here?



After much prayers and sharing my struggles with others, I came to the realization that although we may not have the perfect solution for the situation, our Father in heaven does. He has the perfect plan for the Haitian refugees, and I was simply called to do my part in His plan. I needed to trust Him more. With this new perspective, I took on a different attitude towards the mission. I was energized and eagerly took on new roles and challenges. I participated in different activities and reached out to a wide range of people, both in Villa Ascencion and in the surrounding communities. In addition to being a lesson and opportunity to strengthen my faith, DR also offered a good transition from living in the 4th most developed country in the world, to a country that did not even make it onto the UN’s Human Development Index ranking. I now feel better prepared physically, mentally, and spiritually for the challenges and adventures that lie ahead in Liberia.

2 comments:

Tyrone said...

Eddie, it has been good having you here on board and in the galley.

After reading your post I also wonder if you have ever read the 'Star Fish' story that has circulated the internet quite a bit? Well it helps me keep perspective too, even at a spiritual level:

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "It made a difference for that one."

Eddie Wong said...

Thanks Tyrone, I enjoy working in your galley too.

Yup, the starfish story was shared with us during Gateway, and it definitely helped shape my thinking.