Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Safe and Sick in Africa

Hello everyone, my luggage and I made it to the ship safely Sunday night. However, I've been sick as a dog, a coughing, phlegmy, achy dog.

I caught a cold on Friday night, the night before le grand depart. Perfect timing! Then the flights just made things worse. The cabins were freezing. I was shivering the whole time. Usually I love flying, but there was no joy in any of the 4 flights I took last weekend. In fact, I was almost led to believe Chicage and Brussels are on 2 different planets! The supposingly 8 hr flight went on forever and ever and ever. It doesn't help that they're showing Apollo 13 on the screen, that movie goes on forever and ever and ever too. I would sleep for a little bit, wake up due to aching back / cramped leg / coughing fit, look out the window and it's pitch dark, look up and Tom Hanks' wearing a spacesuit doing something, go back to sleep, wake up again, still dark outside, and this time Ed Harris is saying something to somebody. Repeat the above about 100 times. That's my ORD-BRU flight in a nutshell. It was the most pain I have ever endured in a seated position.

I didn't remember much about the rest of my trip. I was so numbed by pain and discomfort the chaos at the Monrovia airport didn't bother me at all. I was just thankful that the journey was finally over.

Although the journey may be over, my sickness certainly isn't. I saw the crew doctor today, and he prescribed some medication. So hopefully it'll clear up in a few days. I never thought I would become a patient before spending a single day working in the galley. On the other hand, I got to spend some time on the hospital deck, and I'm impressed by the professionalism and passion of the medical staff.

Lesson of the day: Don't fly when you're sick, but if you must, you have my deepest sympathy.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Oh no! Flying when sick is certainly no fun, and you can't even rest now that you've arrived at you destination! Hope you get well soon so you can enjoy your time in the kitchen again, and your first few days back in Africa.

~karen

Matt Manuel said...

Eddie, I hope things look up from here. Hang in there. My prayers are with you...
-Matt

Anonymous said...

doesn't sound like you had a very fun journey over, but at least you got it out of the way, and now you'll be able to get down to business. stalk the german baker and learn as much as you can from him. it's amazing watching people like that work. good luck in the coming weeks when you make the switch to being mr. baker. i'm back to the watermark today, and while i'm excited and inspired, i want nothing to do with the chaos i know is lurking behind those double doors...