Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Breaking News - Population of Sleepy German Village Jumped by Almost 2%

I arrived in St Helena! It is a tiny village set on a hill within a valley. The view is nice in all directions, with mountains in the background. The village itself is also very charming.


This is the bakery and my new home. It's in the centre of the village, right across from the church. Incidentially, there's been a church in the same spot since the 1400s.


The neighbourhood kids gave me a warm welcome.


Being usually a light packer, I was slightly embrassed to show up with all these bags. This is my penthouse apartment (aka attic flat) for the year. After living 2 years on the ship sharing a narrow cabin with 3 other guys, this is luxury! I don't know what to do with all that space. Also, the flat is right above the bakery. So my commute to work is even shorter than when I was on the ship. I didn't think that was possible. Just walk down 2 flights of stairs, and I'm in the bakery. Perfect for those 2am starts.


St Helena - the village with a crane (from the saw mill) and steeple (not every village has their own church. This church serves the surrounding villages. So St Helena is the place to be on Sundays.)

No comments: