Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Goodbye Mercy Ships, Hallo Deutschland!

My time with Mercy Ships came to an end, and once again, I am in a time of transition.

The past two years has been incredible, filled with ups and downs, exhilarating experiences and painful realizations. I stopped counting how many loaves of bread I baked, but it's lots. I hope not to have to use a loaf pan for some time. I met plenty plenty people, both on the ship and off the ship, and made some really good friends from around the world.

Some memorable moments from 2009:

  • getting chickenpox
  • bargaining at the local market with African women in Mandarin
  • riding a camel
  • eating deep fried grasshoppers, think of it as African popcorn
  • seeing an opera for the first time, at the Royal Opera House in London, for free!
God blessed me abundantly, and I am so grateful for this wonderful experience.

For the past month, I've been home, visiting families and friends, speaking at churches, and getting ready for my next adventure: Germany.

I want to refine my baking skills and learn some new techniques, and what better way to do that than to live and work in a place with a long history and tradition of baking? Through a friend from the ship, I found a job at a small bakery in a small village in southern Germany. I am super excited about this opportunity, and look forward to new adventures in the coming year.

3 comments:

Tyrone said...

Good for you! Was it Albert?

Eddie Wong said...

Thanks Tyrone. Yup. Albert helped me find the bakery. Very excited.

Tyrone said...

I hope your time on the ship was more rewarding than frustrating. It was time for me to go...I could feel it.

Best wishes on all your endeavors and keep posting I would like to see your pictures and hear your stories from your time coming up in the bakery (and your travels).

Maybe I can learn a few things from the 'old school'. It will be interesting to hear your reports of the experience.