Monday, February 08, 2010

Guten Tag from Deutschland!

Hello dear readers, I send you warm greetings from freezing Munich!

I arrived 2 days ago, and am staying with friends from the ship. So far I have walked around downtown Munich, sampled German cakes and beers, and visited the Dauhau concentration camp, a very sad place and sobering reminder of how evil man can be. I plan on visiting a few more tourist attractions in the next two days, including the BMW factory! Very exciting. This weekend, I'll go to the village, and will start work next Monday.

Some of my first impressions of Munich:

  • it's freezing cold here
  • lots of people commute by bicycle, even in the cold
  • most of the shops close at 8pm on weeknights, and are closed on Sundays
  • there are bakeries everywhere
  • unlike most other European cities I've visited, most of Munich was destroyed during WWII. As a result, there aren't too many old buildings left in Munich. Pity.
Finally, here's a picture of me in front of Marienplatz, Munich's city hall. Notice anything different about me? :)

3 comments:

Karen said...

Wow. It even looks cold in your photos. Sounds like you're having a nice time touring around Munich.

And nice new 'do :) Do you miss the insulation a little though? Haha!

TheNeedyMother said...

Hm... what's different? And who are you staying with? God bless you Eddie!

Eddie Wong said...

I'm staying with friends from the ship who are kind enough to let me sleep on their couch. It's so nice to have friends from all over the world. :)